We are not in the business of succeeding alone. It simply cannot be done. In order to climb to the heights of social stardom, there has to be a certain mindset that you have to adhere to that helps you understand that there are other people doing the same thing you are, and, with their help (and the help from you), you both can succeed together.
A titan of business was speaking to a young man that seemingly had a lot of potential. The young man was very excited to be talking with the head of the company and therefore started to make claims as to everything that he had done in the company that had helped the business get better.
Who would you recommend for your job? The businessman asked.
No one can do this job like I can! The young man proclaimed.
Looking over the young man’s shoulder, the experienced leader nodded his head at the janitor.
Do you know him?
Turning with question, the young man shook his head, No, I don’t know him.
This is the man that cleans up your mess. The guy that seems to have an unimportant job. Since he has this job no one feels that they should become friends. It’s not grand, it’s not prestigious, however it’s still important to this business because the face of the company relies on him.
I don’t know what happened to the young man in this story. Perhaps he saw the error of his ways and corrected this flaw. Perhaps he didn’t understand what the titan of industry was saying to him and he went away scratching his head.
But the point and lesson remains the same.
Don’t discriminate your relationship building techniques against anyone.
Why Relationships Matter
Recently I was hosting the Relationship Marketing show, and myself and Mark Traphagen, hosted Jay Baer to talk about some relationship tips that people could use, and before we knew it, Jay had said something that really got me, and if want to skip to the good part that literally blew me away, and the reason for this post, then got to minute 53:03. Also read Mark’s rendition of this same statement too.
You’re not going to make it to the top alone. Even if you did, why would you want to? There’s no point in doing this if you don’t have anyone that you trust to confide in, ask questions to, etc. But what do you do when you start out on Google Plus and know now one?
The “And Therefore”
The “and therefore” part of this statement belongs to the actions that you take on Google Plus or any social network for that matter that impart your meaning to the social world. Everything that you do could be taken as a sense of who you are and what you’re doing.
We don’t have any reason to become involved in a relationship unless you first give the rest of us a reason to. People all over the internet are scrambling for positions at the top and they’re competing with each other for the limelight when all they really have to do is band together, pool their resources, and make it to the top together.
Some of the things you can do right now on Google Plus that will have an affect on the way you connect with people are provided in the “and therefore” statement. Like so:
- And Therefore… find someone’s post on G+ that relates to what your niche is and place a well thought out comment there.
- And Therefore… circle all the people that are relevant to you and your niche. The people that interest you the most, no matter what they’re doing.
- And Therefore… forget about your content for a minute. This isn’t a race to see who can get promoted the most on social, this is about finding the people that is in your topic niche and helping them promote their content.
- And Therefore… be thoughtful of other people and their feelings. This isn’t a place where you can get your way all the time, neither is it high school where you pick and choose who you want in your click. Don’t discriminate against anyone. As long as they are somehow related to your topic, befriend them!
- And Therefore… make use of the tools around you. Go the distance with finding people that care about the same things you do and connect with them!
- And Therefore… be helpful and courteous. Be thoughtful and generous. Be kind and willing to do whatever you can for people.
These are just a few of the things that you can start doing right now to get yourself started on Google Plus. Forget the Dunbar number, the theory that says you can only have relationships with so many people…Dunbar must not have met my brother-in-law, he seems to know everybody!
Be someone that takes action
People respond to kindness. They remember helpfulness. Be someone that others can go to when they need help with a problem. But you’re going to have to work up to this though. You’re not going to be the “go to” person right away. But you can start right now by sharing things that you think are helpful to your followers.
Whether you have 400 or 400,000, you have a responsibility to your stream and what you’re followers see. Even if you didn’t write the content itself. That’s number one priority. You are the shepherd, and right from the beginning, you can learn how to gain trust with your followers
Again, it’s just another thing that you have to understand. You’re not on social media to simply promote your articles and leave. You may think that’s what you’re there for, but there’s a bigger reason. Bigger than you or myself, or anyone else! That reason is the people. Understand them and their likes and dislikes, what they need help with, what they need in general, and then give it to them. Become the servant so you can be served, and then you will begin to realize the “And Therefore” in Relationship building.
Latest posts by Wade Harman (see all)
- How This Entrepreneur Used Community To Build A Brand - April 26, 2018
- How A Freelancer Can Acquire More Clients Quickly - July 25, 2017
- The Steps to Take After Your Website Has Been Hacked - July 24, 2017